From dopamine dressing to radical self-acceptance, explore how to tap into a limitless version of you
Hello Happiful readers,
What’s your favourite colour? Hang on, let me guess. Is it blue?
It’s a trick borrowed from Lauren Labrecque, an associate professor at the University of Rhode Island. Lauren would ask the same question to her students, already having a slide prepared with her prediction: 80% of the responses would be blue.
It’s a safe bet. Worldwide studies and surveys have found again and again that blue is the most common ‘favourite colour’ among adults. Scientists don’t really know why this is the case, but if you’re worried this means we’re all the same, you shouldn’t be. Colours are subjective; not only do we each see them slightly differently, but we also project onto them our individual experiences, emotions, culture, and associations. The result is a personal palette that tells the story of our lives, and which could never be replicated or even, currently, completely understood.
Though, if you’ve ever taken a ‘What does your favourite colour say about you?’ quiz, you’ll know there’s something about being told that liking the colour green means you’re dependable that really hits the spot, even if the science is dubious.
It’s an interesting insight into the ways that our preferences feed into our sense of self, and vice versa. When it comes to our wellbeing, feeling as though we understand and can express ourselves is key. If you always make decisions in-line with your honest desires, needs, and values, those choices become that much easier. So, how do we get to that point?
In issue 65, we explore ‘dopamine dressing’ and meet the colourful people who will challenge you to think differently about fashion and self-expression. And our print-exclusive journaling pages are a space to explore a limitless version of you.
But you’ve also got to face the hard stuff. We’re unpacking the concept of ‘pleasanteeism’ in the workplace on p14, and flick to p25 and you’ll find a reflection on what would happen if, in a world that wants you to hide your struggles, you practised radical self-acceptance?
Plus, this print edition includes:
• Intriguing features including an ancient Greek secret to inner joy, the wellbeing power of morning pages, advice on questioning a mental health misdiagnosis, and how to make keep intimacy alive in long-term relationships.
• Essential life hacks from recognising anxiety through the ages to discussing burnout with your boss, and managing mismatched work-life balance with your other half.
• Expert input on a range of topics including adult bullying, myths about narcissism, why we ignore relationship red flags, and the long-term impact of financial trauma.
What does an honest, open, self-celebrating you look like? Join us, as we get to the core of what makes us the people we are.
Choose from one of our hassle-free subscription offers to ensure you never miss an issue, and receive:
• The latest issue of Happiful delivered straight to your door each month
• Free postage and packaging to the UK and NI
• Exclusive early release for print readers
• The magazine and it’s packaging are fully recyclable
• For every tree used to create the mag, we plant two in its place
• By purchasing a print subscription, you are funding our mission to provide a digital version for free, to ensure there are no finanacial barriers to mental health support and information for those in need – thank you!
Order your copy of Happiful today.